I use this #2
I promised that there would be another post about my windows environment. I keep my word, so here you go.
This time I am keeping this part a little shorter. It’s a Core i7 Notebook from Fujitsu with 6 Gigs of RAM and a 128GB SDD. Not very beautiful, but it does the job.
The Chocolatey Stuff
I blogged earlier about chocolatey it is a package manager for windows that works fairly well and a great bunch of the tools I use are available as chocolatey package.
- Console2 Finally a command-line for windows that doesn’t suck (as much as the built-in). You can also integrate powershell, ipython and pycmd into it.
- WinDirStat Gives you a nice overview on what is taking up your disk space.
- grepWin grep with a GUI.
- LockHunter If something locks some file so you can’t delete it, LockHunter will tell you which application claims the lock.
- VirtualCloneDrive It is a miracle that Windows can’t mount a ISO file on its own.
- RDCMan - to manage lots of RDP connections.
- Papercut A very lightweight SMTP Server that you can run on your dev machine. (There is also smtp4dev - I am not sure which one is better).
- SharedView or join.me, TeamViewer, NetViewer, whatever it is.
- Exuberant Ctags
- LINQPad Probably the best solution around (until the Roslyn REPL is finally done) to get an interactive C# experience.
- ILSpy .NET assembly decompiler.
- AutoIT I hardly use it, but sometimes it is useful to automate some GUI stuff.
- Fiddler Debugging HTTP Requests.
- Visual Studio 2010 including various plug-ins (VsVim being the most important). Even if you don’t particularly like Microsoft, you have to admit that Visual Studio is a splendid IDE.
- IPython A system without IPython feels kind of crippled to me.
- SQL Management Studio with SqlComplete
- SoapUI To quickly test a webservice. Although lately I have been using python with suds as I found it more convenient.
- Eclipse with Infor BusinessStudio. For Infor ERP LN webservice development. Everything about it is serious and highly confidential (thats at least how Infor thinks about it) so I am not allowed to write about it in more detail.
- MS-Office including Outlook
- Firefox including Pentadactyl
I almost forgot
- Everything Indexes your harddrive, and does so a lot faster than the built-in search service.
- Workrave It reminds me to take regular breaks.